Estimated reading time: 2 minutes, 2 seconds
I installed a sewage ejector pump in a home I remodeled for myself 15 years ago. I needed it to evacuate the basement water from the laundry and a 3/4 bath. It worked fine for all that time, then it started acting up. It was staying on and not shutting off like it should. It was getting stuck on.
By the time I took the cover off everything was OK. I discovered a failed float. Changing the pump would have been far more expensive. ($375.00 ish) wholesale.
I ended up lifting the pump our to make sure it was free spinning. and I attached a new float ($60 ish) that did the job but I had a difficult time getting the pump to work again. It sounded good but it wasn’t pumping. Oy! as mom would say, do I need to replace the pump too?
I studied the problem and thought it might be air locked, so I called my F I L (Father In Law) Bob the retired plumber, “I suppose it could be, but I have never heard of that happening” he said.
There was no hole in the 2″ exhaust leg that should have been there according to the manufacturer. I had already put everything back together and did not want to open it up again to put a recommended 3/16″ hole about 4″ up from the bottom.
Instead I opened up and air gap in the Fernco rubber clamp above the pit and plugged the pump in. In a second the air was burped out and we were back in business. I tightened up the clamp and we were back working like a champ again.
This can be a nasty job. Fortunately, I came across a clean well and pump having been used for a shower most recently. Use gloves and be prepared for nasty.
Your comments are welcome. To ask questions or get more information about fixing stuff, click here to email me directly, or call 208-639-1808
I do these things during non-Levco time to be sure it doesn’t interfere with the Remodeling business. Repairing things and understanding homes is just another passion of mine.
or visit our contact page.